It gets a little annoying when you cannot open Microsoft Office applications including MS Word. This problem is not restricted to a user of a particular version because these problems have reported being faced by users of every version of Office including MS Word 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019. To get rid of this problem, the basic workaround is to repair Office installation. But before we move on to discuss how to fix this problem, let us know the reasons behind its occurrence.
Why won’t Microsoft Word open?
- Most of the times the problem occurs because of inappropriate shutdown or system crash
- In case you have mistakenly pressed Shift + Delete keys and it has deleted the file permanently
- You have formatted the drives of your PC
- The presence of damaged and corrupted files in your laptop could also be the reason
- Your system has undergone a virus or malware attack
Troubleshoot Microsoft Word won’t start in Windows
In case you are unable to open or work on Word documents, then you may follow the steps given below to fix this problem:
Perform a full repair of Office
- On your Windows device, you have to, first of all, open the Control Panel.
- After this, you need to navigate to the Programs and Features tab.
- Further, you have to click on the option reading as Microsoft Office from the list of installed applications.
- Now, move to the top of the window to find the Change option and click on it.
- This action will open a dialog box on your screen where you need to select the ‘Repair’ option.
- On being asked for further action, select Online Repair.
It will comprehensively fix your device where all the Office apps are fixed. In case this doesn’t work, uninstall and reinstall Office by visiting office.com/setup.
Fix Microsoft Office not opening on Mac
If any of the Office application including MS Word is not opening on your Mac device, then you may try to run the Disk Utility. It will definitely fix the problem by repairing the Word file on your Mac.
- First of all, go to the Menu.
- From here, select the ‘Utilities’ option.
- Further, click on Disk Utility Program to open it.
- Ensure to choose the Primary hard disk of your Mac.
- After this, you need to click on the “First Aid” tab.
- Now, hit the “Run” button.
- The repair program will start now and will fix all the Disk volume errors as well as permissions.
- When the program runs successfully, click “Done”.
Check if the problem is resolved or not. If not, then reinstall Office.
Microsoft word won’t open in safe mode- fix now
In case you are unable to open or start Microsoft Office or one of its applications even in Safe Mode, then you should try to update MS Office. An outdated version of Office might create hurdles in your work. Other than this, you can try to disable the Start-up folder add-ins or delete Word registry keys.
Hopefully, these workarounds have proved to be of some help to you. If not, try repeating the procedure or contact support.